Fostering a dog or cat means that a homeless animal comes into your home. You care for them, socialize them, love them, train them, and give them attention. This may be for a predetermined time period, or it may be until they have been adopted into a permanent home.
Why Do We Need Foster Homes?
Currently, as we do not have a shelter, foster homes on Roatan are essential for helping rescued animals heal. There’s a number of reasons why an animal adoption groups always need foster homes.
- Puppies or kittens who are too young to be placed in their forever homes sometimes live in foster homes.
- Dogs who are ill, injured or recovering from surgery can be placed in a foster home while they heal and recuperate.
- If an animal has never lived in a family home or has had limited contact with humans, they can be placed with a foster home to help with socialization.
Why Should I Foster an Animal?
Fostering a dog is an incredibly rewarding experience. When you take a homeless dog into your home temporarily, you’re not only helping him prepare to be the best ‘good dog’ he can be, you’re also:
- Helping us learn about the animal, so they can be placed in a forever home suited to their needs.
- Socializing them, getting them accustomed to being around people, pets, and in a family environment.
How Do I Foster A Dog or Cat?
Contact us directly and volunteer to be a foster home. Once you have been approved, we will work with you to place the right animal with you.